Tributes paid to driver and friends killed in fatal M1 car crash

Mr evans.jpg
Allan Evans, 59, was the driver of the broken down vehicle and was killed along

with the passengers in the collision

Friends and family have paid tribute to the three men killed in Bedfordshire on Saturday in a horrific collision on the M1. After breaking down, the men were sitting in the stationary vehicle in the hard shoulder when a double-decker coach carrying a team of cheerleaders crashed into the back of the car at approximately 6.46am.

The victims have been named as Tom Aldridge, 20, Nathan Reeves, 23, and Allan Evans, 59. A fourth man, and friend of the victims, Jake Dorling, who is in his 20s, suffered a head injury and is currently in hospital in a critical but stable condition.

victims crash.jpg

Crash victims and friends (from left), Tom Aldridge, Nathan Reeves

and Jake Dorling.

The family of Mr Reeves, paying tribute to the young man, said: My gorgeous, gorgeous boy, with a smile that could melt anyone's heart, lived his very short life to the full and my heart is full of love and pride for having this beautiful person as part of my life.” They continued, “He was much loved by all his friends, girlfriend, and family and our hearts are breaking knowing that we will not see that cheeky grin again, apart from in our wonderful memories of him."

Mr Aldridge’s parents described their son as “a very generous and loving boy, loved not just by his family but by his many, many, friends. Tom would help everyone who needed it and has seen friends through many hard times always putting them first."

The friends, who were returning from a night out in London, had been offered a lift back to their Buckinghamshire homes by Mr Evans, who was driving the A3 Audi.

The family of Mr Evans said: "Allan was a carer for his elderly mother and was such a loving, kind-hearted son, brother, and uncle. He always looked out for others who came into his life and will be sorely missed by his mum, sisters, wider family and friends."

The coach driver, who is in his 70s, was arrested following the incident and is currently on bail. The driver, from Kent, will return to Kempston Police Station in Bedfordshire in May.

None of the passengers on board the coach – which was a group of 60 young women and three young men – were hurt.